Thursday, June 16, 2016

I got the pink cocoon made yesterday. Finally I let myself  plan to use the whole ball of yarn so I was able to see how much yarn it takes for the biggest version. I  used all of the ball and still have some left over. Now if I make a white cocoon I have enough pink for the 'fringe' at the top. I like making these since there is no way to count stitches with such fuzzy stuff. I just keep an eye on how big the cocoon is making itself to see if I agree. Once I had to take out a couple of rows because the width was spreading out too much.
In the morning, I had finished up two more babies' strings and then I made the mistake of taking one of the Chinese kits apart with the intent of redoing the wonky eyes.

In the end I gave up trying to rescue the baby, so I was not proud of myself. I may just try inserting the eyes into a new head to see if I  can do a better job of it.
I did go through the boxes of small babies and found these three needed help getting themselves finished.
Here we have Kameko (to the left) and the siblings Morgan and Mollie- who are having a spat and refusing to look at each other. Kids! Also you can see the results of a lunchtime brainstorm. I got the idea of cutting out the corners of a box, setting the doll into the corner and using the former sides of the box to support the doll upright. I am still thinking of this idea, seeing if it really works as slick as it does in my imagination, and how to hide the cardboard aspect of it.
These three babies are the last of the lot that need finishing so I look forward to working on them this morning. I think I forgot to say yesterday that one of things that pays me back for all the work is my time with the baby before I start to work. I pick up the baby, rock and hold her close while I explain to her what I am going to do and ask her cooperation. I also ask if anything feels wrong to her and request that she show me what needs fixing. I know this all sounds silly, but even when I have the baby back together, I will cuddle her, thank her, and bless her for the lovely time we have had together, This way I can hold the baby in cuddle and think I am still working with no guilt. I guess I have the idea that if I can give a doll all the love possible, it can, when in the arms of a new person, radiate some of my love into their life. If the doll is used to getting love from me, she will, in the new situation teach that person to love her (the doll) and in that way learn how love feels and call forth those feelings in order to pass them on to those around her. Welcome to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment