Monday, April 20, 2015

Yesterday, while adding eyelashes, I realized I had forgotten to explain here on the blog why I am doing these two toddler babies. In May is an exhibit at Gualala Arts titled "Celebration of Home." In January I did a lot of thinking (while crocheting) about what kind of art that should be in a home. Even though I am not a huge advocate for having children, I was surprised to come up with the idea that the best art one could make for the home was a child. Only having Jenny Wren as a reborn, I bought a stroller, new clothes, and started to arrange her in it.

I was fairly well pleased with this arrangement even though I found her lips too red and her eyelashes too prominent for a baby. As I worked with other reborns over the months I became aware of toddler size babies. After much thought, I picked two kits from Bountiful Baby not knowing which one would be better and what I could accomplish.
Only last week Cookie came together for me looking like this. Without too much thought (other than I needed to paint her lips more red) I went ahead and made Ladybug.
I do like babies with happy expressions and open mouths. I was also pleased that I no longer thought I had to cover up the stars on the seat of the stroller with a blanket. My thought today is that I will put Ladybug (now named "Sweetie") in the show. I know there are people who will cringe at the idea of doll in an art show, but that is where my thinking is. My hope is to place the stroller so it looks as if someone walked off and left their child in the gallery. With the open mouth and lost paci, she looks as if she is howling more than laughing. Or asking someone to help put her pacifier back into her mouth.
I am hoping that in today's mail will be the thinning shears I ordered from Amazon. I would like to have less hair on her and we will see if I can give her a good hair cut. The show entries have to be delivered on April 29th so I have to make up my mind on the hairdo and then tack with invisible thread the parts so they stay in place during the trip to the art center before then.
I kept the heads for Ching Tien and Samantha in the house all night so now their glue is dry and if I have a good day, I can make them into babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment