Tuesday, April 21, 2015

See the bulge on Sweetie's chest just below her chin?  For these bigger dolls I splurged and bought bodies instead of using cheap ones bought on eBay, which were too small.  When I built Cookie, I saw that bulge and thought I had the body backwards - that this was the back. When I tied her head on I saw that indeed I had done the whole thing backwards. So I untied her arms and legs to switch everything around so she would be correct. Making Sweetie I again wanted to be absolutely correct so did the ties in the right places. But now I see how invasive that collarbone bulge is.
I had noticed some bodies made with a series of gathers at the collarbone and now I know why, Those are there to get that bunch of fabric under control and not fill it with fluff. I tried to sew in the gathers on Cookie without taking her apart but the thread broke and the fix looked really tacky. As the day advanced I got more unhappy with the look until I broke down and tore  poor Cookie apart. Thank goodness I had not glued her or trimmed her ties.
With the head out and extra fluff removed I tried to hand-sew a dart in the neck area but again it looked like the dickens.
Then I realized that every body I have gotten on either eBay or from a reborn supplier had this problem. I have made changes in them often re-sewing all the seams. I had a book on reborns that contained patterns for doll bodies but as I looked at all of them I realized they each had problems with the design. I cannot believe that I am now on the path to design my own. That means many tries and experiments until I get a whole design correct. My one good thought about making my own baby bodies is the idea that I can use Harmony Art fabrics! I know Harmony has some in flannel-like thickness in her fabrics which should be perfect for bodies. I may return to having bodies of figured fabric as the haiku dolls were.
In the morning I had already had one body war. I had planned to use one of the Chinese bodies for the Chinese doll - Ching T'ien, but when I started to insert the legs I found they were too fat for the openings. Impatient, I borrowed Samantha's BB body. The excess in the front confused me and I tied the whole doll together backwards. I stopped, undid it all, put the limbs back in the way the body was designed. I wanted to get a doll together so I ignored the collarbone bulge but am sure it will be there in the morning. I did take the time to study how that body was made, how the little pouches for limbs were attached by the plastic joints. I even researched what they cost (any where from $5 - $2.50 per doll) and noted how I disagreed with where the designers put them (on the backs instead of on the side as we are made.) So I am very tired tonight from fighting windmills of dolly design. I am hoping that tomorrow I will know what to do. I had one blessing! As I was finishing the pink/white crocheted blanket I ran out pink yarn just inches from the end. Leaning over I found another ball of pink yarn I did not know I had so was able to finish the blanket. Started one in lavender and white. I crochet when I need to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment