Tuesday, January 5, 2016

I had heard the  phrase "sick at heart" and there were a few times in my life when I thought I had experienced it. Today I know what it means and how it feels.
Over half my morning was given to trying to reach customer service at the bank with the hope of someone finding the error in my bank statement that was their fault and not mine. After a dozen attempts I finally called the local branch and got a lovely lady who did everything she could by telephone to untangle the statement. In the end I accepted the blame and sucked it up. This was guaranteed to give me the screaming willies and lower my self esteem a couple more notches. However I determined to keep my head high and continue with making babies - after lunch. I did get two bodies sewed and was holding myself in check with the idea of that pleasure. The address Annie needed to head her box in the right direction had come, I had printed it out and feeling proud to get that box finished up and in the passenger side of the car. That exhausted me so I plopped in the recliner to catch my breath and get started on the fun  part of the day.
As I leaned over to look at the rug under the chair it was darker than it had been and over waves of heart-sickness I knew  El Nino water was leaking in across the floor. Four years ago we had had this trouble and put in a French drain along the studio side which faces the hill. Three summers of drought made it look as it this had solved our problem. It didn't. Finally the storm last night pressed enough water through a crack under the cement floor and up into the studio. Werner was napping so I did not want to wake him to this kind of news so I started moving what I could to get to the water source. I was able even to shove the recliner to the drier garage side and wiggle the rug out the door.  I even got the babies all carried into the warm dry living room. This is what greeted him in the studio
.

He agreed to keep the car outdoors as long as we are having these repeated storms so I could drag more stuff into the even drier places on his side of the room.

He helped me put the chair up on blocks and got the bamboo rugs upright so they drain.


The living room looked like this. Or this.

And we soon had babies slithering all over the floor as if on holiday. I was thankful Annie was in a box in the car. I got everyone and everything (on the other side of the room are bags and boxes of poly fill) as safe as I could. I was able to mop the floor of the studio so it was dry again and there was no where we could see water soaking in. The couple hours of sunshine did help to dry all the floors but boots are going to be at the top of the dress code the rest of this week. I still have three babies waiting on their bodies. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment