Sunday, January 24, 2016

For those of you who use my blog mainly as a 'sign of life' from me, let me assure you I am alive and fairly well. It is Etsy's life that it is danger. On Wednesday I decided to quickly use some of my inside the house hours to get my Etsy site back up and working. I thought it would be quick because I know how to use Etsy and get around on the site. I did enough work posting the many bead projects in 2009 and even taking part in bead contests and advertisements that I felt I could just pop in and start posting.
Well, first of all I realized that Etsy's framing of photos was using ONLY the landscape mode and all my baby photo are naturally in portrait mode - because they are portraits, not landscapes. This meant rephotographing the babies and teaching them how to lie on their tummies to spread out their legs to fill the whole frame. Thursday I spent making little harnesses that curve a baby's head up the way a child holds it when crawling. It rained all day and I could not try out the idea or but I used it to get used to looking at a baby in that position. In the meantime I started fighting with Etsy. I tried to 'close' the old bead site but it stays there. I took the suggestion to sign in again and I did. I have the url of the new site and can get on it, but I cannot do anything with it. I want to remove the ugly banner but I cannot even find instructions on how to do. Instead, every attempt to work on the site takes me to the supposedly dead bead site.
Yesterday we had a shower/storm every hour, but in between there were moments of pure good sunshine. So I was able to get some photos made of my guinea pig Samantha.


I was unable to get a listing to post, so I did not photograph any more of the other babies. It was too much work.  I was still wavering about whether I could get Etsy to work properly. The good news was that I did get my photo-table organized and usable and moving just that much back into the studio felt very, very good. By last night I had adequate photos that Etsy could not slice the face off.


This morning I woke early because I was so eager to get to posting on Etsy. I had figured out a way to copy in the big chunk of text that got lost with every failed attempt to post so I could drop that in and just fill out the blanks with a minimum of information. I hoped that would help lower my frustration level when posting would not work properly. Finally about noon, after three good tries,  I got the posting option to publish / post. But it put the dolly listing in the bead site! Grrr! Again I have written to the folks at Etsy asking help. It is good I can only contact them by long distance or heads would be rolling. One of my reasons for ignoring the blog all these days was my plan to post a link to the new site and all kinds of hoopla to make you feel my happiness. Well, I do not have any yet so all you get are my grrr-sounds and whining. In the meantime I crochet peace pals to calm my nerves and savagely bite sugar-free gummi bears. Samantha looks good and I am eager to photograph some other babies on their tummies (something rarely seen on photos on the web of reborns) and I know why as it is very difficult to get them to hold the position without the kids falling on their faces.




No comments:

Post a Comment