Sunday, August 9, 2015

The day dawned bright and early and we were both awake and raring to go. We managed our morning normally so that we ended up in the kitchen at the same time for lunch. In kindness to our nerves we avoided mentioning the trip to Gualala Arts Center to enter the spirit child into the show. Immediately, with the last bite of strawberries, we were making our plan of how to do it best.
Werner was to drive the car out in front of my studio door. He drew the passenger seat up as far as it would go. Then he agreed that the floor of the back seat was the best place for her to stand to make the ride. I carried her around and set her carefully in place. Then I came in to rest and finally to get dressed in something other than pants and t-shirt.  By a quarter til one we were on our way. Luck was with us! We were able to pull up right in front of the auditorium in the shade.


There everything was ready and that man was kind enough to find my name to check that all the facts were correct. I had wanted to change the dolly's title to "A Stranger in Paradise" and was willing to pay the $5. to do it, but someone else was at that table so I carried the doll inside with her old title.
Too soon all the paper work was done and I had to stop Doric and Sally for the photo.

Back home I missed her! I actually thought of digging out Juan's limbs to make a doll to take her place. Then I saw Regina and realized I had a baby her size so sat and rocked Regina until I had eaten enough chocolate to feel sick and was able to polish the nails on the  limbs I had worked on in the morning.

You can see what I found out then. The eyes for the two heads on the left were too big. I really need more 18 mm. So I set the heads aside and got out one of the Ching babies because I knew 20 mm fit in his eyes. Again they were a bit wobbly so I rolled tiny balls of cotton to put between the eye and the socket. That stopped the wiggle of the eyes and when I poured in the glue it sopped it up, holding it against both parts. Happiness.


All week I have wanted to order some of the hole-less nipples from Nonie's Nursery but firmly told myself I did not need to get into making pacifiers out of beanie babies. Today I took courage with the memory that I now knew where to get more and simply took the nipples out of the bottles. I got my new invention sewed and glued in place with enough energy left over (after a nap) to make supper. A good day! I am very thankful it all went so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment